Try out a new dessert with this gluten free Banana Cake! Made with only the most delicious ingredients, this cake uses maple syrup, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and everything else that you love.
The most delicious banana cake recipe
No matter the time of year, creating a cake from scratch always feels festive. It just so happens that I’m putting this recipe together when it actually is a festive time of year!
If you’re looking to skip the traditional pecans and pumpkins of the holiday and go with a different flavored cake, try this delicious gluten free banana cake recipe!
This cake comes together with ingredients like almond flour, cinnamon, bananas (obviously!), eggs, coconut oil, and maple syrup. And for the frosting, we use a delicious, rich blend of cream cheese and powdered sugar. It’s the ultimate frosting, and one that you’re going to crave again and again!
Ingredients in this gluten free cake
This cake consists of the cake layer and the frosting layer. Each part has its own set of ingredients, with flavorings that overlap (cinnamon, vanilla, and salt). Together, the two layers create a rich, decadent cake that you’re going to love.
- Almond flour: The cake itself will begin with 2.5 cups of almond flour. Almond flour is a great, healthier alternative that will help this cake have a fluffy texture.
- Baking soda: To help the batter bake properly, include 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- Cinnamon: For flavor, throw in 1 tsp of cinnamon!
- Salt: Adding salt does wonders for the taste. 1/4 tsp is perfect.
- Banana: Finally, the bananas! 1 large ripe banana will be plenty. It should amount to about 1/2 cup when mashed.
- Eggs: Eggs help the ingredients bind properly. You will need 2.
- Coconut oil: A baking oil is necessary, and I recommend coconut oil! You will 1/4 cup, melted.
- Maple syrup: For a delicious sweet flavor, throw in 1/3 cup of maple syrup.
- Vanilla: Lastly, add a splash of vanilla to round out the taste!
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream cheese: We will kick off the frosting with Neufchatel or a reduced fat cream cheese. You will need 1 block (8 oz), softened.
- Powdered sugar: Next, include 1 cup of powdered sugar. If you only have granulated, you can powder it by blending it in a blender or food processor.
- Butter: Next, include 2 tbsp of softened butter.
- Almond milk: Almond milk will help to give the frosting the correct consistency. Use 2 tbsp.
- Vanilla: Add 1 tsp of vanilla for flavor.
- Cinnamon: Additionally, include 1/4 tsp of cinnamon.
- Salt: Finally, add a dash (1/4 tsp) of salt, and the frosting ingredients are complete!
Everything you’ll need to prepare this recipe
For this recipe you’ll need a number of baking tools including mixing bowls, stirring utensils, and measuring cups.
- Bundt pan
- Oil or nonstick spray
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Mashing tool or fork
- Hand mixer
- Spatula or knife for frosting the cake
For measuring, you will need the following sizes: 1/4 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make gluten free banana cake
Some people think that baking cakes is tricky, but this recipe proves otherwise! In truth, it’s a very easy dessert to whip together. Just mix the dry ingredients, then the wet, then combine and bake! After that, prepare the frosting by mixing everything together. Voila!
To begin, preheat the oven to 350F and grease a bundt pan.
In a small bowl, mix the almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well combined.
Finally, pour everything into the greased bundt pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Note: If using a different type of pan, adjust the baking time accordingly.
While the cake is baking, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Use a hand mixer to blend the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until creamy. Set in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
Frost the cake once it has fully cooled.
A healthier banana cake
I love using healthy ingredient swaps in my recipes, and for this cake I used some of my favorites!
- Almond flour: Almond flour is a great, nutrient-rich substitute for all-purpose flour. Plus, it tastes great and helps to make a rich, fluffy cake.
- Coconut oil: Rather than using vegetable or canola oil, coconut oil is the way to go. You can use a refined version if you don’t want a coconut flavor.
- Maple syrup: Finally, the sweetener is one of the easiest ways to go healthier! I like to use maple syrup rather than granulated sugar because it’s lower glycemic, all-natural, and extra delicious.
If planning to use a different type of pan or adding chocolate chips, here’s how!
Can I use a different type of pan?
Definitely! You can use any type of cake dish, whether a round, rectangular, or even bread size. Just be sure to keep an eye on the cake (without opening the oven door too often – use the light!) to ensure that it doesn’t over bake.
Can I add chocolate?
A little chocolate is always a good idea. If you’d like to add some, I suggest sprinkling chocolate chips on top or mixing them into the batter!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Want to indulge in some more delicious banana treats? Try these! Each recipe is flavorful, unique, and satisfying. Try the s’mores bread first… it’s the best!
- S’mores Banana Bread
- Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Strawberry Banana Overnight Oats
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- splash vanilla
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8oz) blocks Neufchatel or reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease bundt pan. If using another pan, you will need to adjust baking time. A regular bread pan will require longer baking. Use toothpick test to see when finished.
- In a small bowl, mix together almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mash banana. Whisk in two eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combined. Pour into greased bundt pan and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- While baking, prepare cream cheese frosting. Using a hand mixer, blend together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until creamy. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Frost cake once it has fully cooled.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂