Load up on veggies, protein, and cheesy goodness with this BBQ Chicken Cauliflower Rice Casserole. Made with onion, garlic, and cheddar, and ready to enjoy now or freeze for later!
The easiest chicken cauliflower casserole
Casseroles are a favorite in my house. They’re easy to make, usually require minimal dishes, and they always taste so good! Today, I’m sharing one of my favorites: BBQ chicken cauliflower rice casserole.
This chicken casserole is hearty, nutritious, and extra yummy. It uses cauliflower rice, allowing you to cut down on some of the carbs while sneaking in 8oz of extra veggies! Flavored with BBQ sauce, garlic, and onion, this dish is next-level flavorful. The layer of cheddar cheese on top brings it all together!
Ingredients in BBQ chicken cauliflower rice casserole
Casseroles are known for lots of ingredients, but this one only uses 11 (3 of which are spices)! Here’s everything you will need:
- Chicken breasts: 2 large, cooked chicken breasts lay the groundwork for this casserole.
- Cauliflower rice: As for the rice, 1 8oz bag of frozen, defrosted cauliflower rice will do the trick!
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp of olive oil will be needed to sauté the onion and garlic.
- Onion: Use 1/2 of a yellow onion diced into small pieces.
- Garlic: Add flavor by including 3 cloves of minced garlic.
- BBQ sauce: 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce adds that delicious signature flavor to the dish!
- Eggs: 2 eggs will be used to help the ingredients set.
- Seasonings: For flavor, add the following seasonings: 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, and 1/4 of tsp chili powder.
- Cheddar: Last but not least, complete the dish with 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Kitchen tools needed to make this recipe
To create this casserole, you’ll need a few kitchen items. You will need a cutting board, chopping knife, large mixing bowl, sauté pan, and a spatula or stirring utensil to prep ingredients. Then, we’ll assemble and cook the casserole using an 8×8 baking sheet!
Grab the following sized measuring cups for measuring out all of the ingredients: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tbsp, and 3/4 cup.
How to make BBQ chicken casserole with cauliflower
BBQ chicken cauliflower casserole is simple to prepare. Especially so because we’re using cauliflower rice (less prep time required).
To begin, preheat the oven to 400°F and grease an 8×8 baking sheet with nonstick spray.
Then, chop the chicken into very small bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken to a large mixing bowl.
Add the defrosted cauliflower rice to the bowl.
Next, heat the oil in a sauté pan. Once hot, add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, and then add the garlic and cook for another 3.
Once cooked, add the garlic and onions to the bowl with the chicken and cauliflower.
Mix in the BBQ sauce, eggs, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Stir until everything is well combined.
Pour the mixture onto the 8×8 baking dish and top with the cheddar cheese. Bake for 45 minutes, or until set.
Let cool for 5 minutes before eating, and enjoy!
Additional mix-in ideas
Optionally add even more flavor to your casserole by including some of these extra ingredients!
- Green onion
- Sour Cream
Casseroles make great options for future meal planning. If you would like to freeze this dish for later, simply prep the chicken and ingredients as outlined above, omitting the rice and cheddar cheese. Once prepared, add the ingredients to a freezer-safe bag to save for later. When ready to enjoy, allow the chicken mixture to defrost before adding it to a bowl and mixing in the cauliflower rice. Then, line the baking sheet as directed above, top with fresh cheddar cheese, and bake!
Leftover chicken BBQ casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Keep it sealed in an airtight container to lock in fresh flavors.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Casseroles are an easy way to prepare a nutritious and hearty meal. Here are some more of my favorite casserole recipes to try!
- Broccoli Cheddar Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Casserole
- Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole
- Healthy Green Bean Casserole
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photography by Moriah Sawtelle
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 8oz bag frozen cauliflower rice, defrosted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease 8×8 baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Chop chicken into very small bite sized pieces. Add to a large bowl.
- Add defrosted cauliflower to bowl.
- In a saute pan, heat oil. Once hot, add onions and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minutes.
- Add onions and garlic to bowl with chicken and cauliflower.
- Mix in bbq sauce, eggs, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Pour into 8×8 dish and top with cheddar cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Let cool 5 minutes before eating.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂