Start your morning with chocolate banana flavor with this delicious Chunky Monkey Baked Oatmeal! Made with walnuts and protein-packed oats.
The most delicious chocolate breakfast oatmeal
When it comes to oatmeal recipes, I know berry-filled renditions are a classic go-to. But sometimes, a sweeter breakfast is in order! Today, I’m showing you how to take baked oatmeal to the next level with this chunky monkey baked oatmeal recipe.
Using bananas, chopped walnuts, and chocolate chips, were taking oatmeal up 10 notches and transforming it into a delicious breakfast treat! On top of being delicious, this oatmeal is protein-packed and can easily be made vegan with egg substitutes.
Ingredients in chunky monkey baked oatmeal
This oatmeal is jam-packed with flavor thanks to a combination of cinnamon, bananas, maple syrup, walnuts, and chocolate!
- Rolled oats: First up, you will need rolled oats in the amount of 2 and 1/4 cups.
- Baking soda: To help the oatmeal bake properly, use 1 tsp of baking soda.
- Salt: Add flavor with 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Cinnamon: 1/2 tsp of cinnamon makes a huge difference!
- Bananas: Next up, this recipe calls for 3 small bananas.
- Eggs: 2 eggs will be used to help the oatmeal bake achieve the right texture.
- Maple syrup: Add sweet flavor with 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
- Almond milk: For the liquid portion of the batter, use 1.5 cups of almond milk.
- Vanilla: Add 1 tsp of vanilla for flavor.
- Chopped walnuts: 1 cup of walnuts (divided) will add a crunchy texture.
- Chocolate chips: Last but not least, finish off the recipe with 3/4 cups of chocolate chip (divided).
Kitchen tools needed to make this baked oatmeal recipe
To make banana chocolate oatmeal, you will need the following kitchen supplies and measuring cups:
- 8×8 baking dish
- Medium mixing bowl
- Sitrring utensil
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup, and 1 cup
How to make chocolate banana baked oatmeal
Making homemade chunky monkey baked oatmeal couldn’t be simpler. We’ll start by preparing ingredients much like we’d prepare cake or brownie ingredients (wet ingredients in one bowl, dry in the other). Then, we’ll combine it all, add the chocolate and nuts, and bake!
First, preheat the oven to 375°F and grease an 8×8 pan.
Then, use a medium-sized bowl to mix together the rolled oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Then, mix in half of the walnuts and half of the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the greased baking dish and top with the remaining walnuts and chocolate.
Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
If you find yourself out of an ingredient or two, don’t worry! Here are some simple swaps that may come in handy.
Out of baking soda? Don’t panic! Did you know that you can substitute it with baking powder? You will need 3x as much powder. So for this recipe, that equals 3 tsp.
Almond milk can be substituted with cashew milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or even regular dairy milk.
If you’re out of walnuts, you can use chopped pecans instead!
How do I make this recipe vegan?
The only animal product in this recipe are the eggs. To make this dish vegan-friendly, simply swap the eggs with vegan eggs or use the chia seed method!
The chia seed method requires 1 tbsp of chia seeds and 3 tbsp of water per egg. For this recipe, that means you’ll need 2 tbsp of chia seeds and 6 tbsp of water. Simply mix the seeds and water in a small bowl, and once congealed, add to the batter in place of the eggs.
There you have it — vegan chunky monkey oatmeal!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Oatmeal can be made into so many different delicious breakfast recipes. Here are some more ideas!
- Healthy Berry Baked Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars
- Peach Baked Oatmeal
- Baked Oatmeal for One (Two Ways)
Photos by Moriah Sawtelle and recipe by Erin Antoniak.
- 2 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 small bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (divided)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (divided)
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease an 8×8 pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together rolled oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, mash 3 bananas. Whisk in eggs, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combined.
- Mix in half of the walnuts and half of the chocolate chips. Pour into greased baking dish. Top with remaining walnuts and chocolate.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂