Light up the fire, grab your favorite book, and cozy on up with a bowl of this delicious Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. This dish comes together easily and is perfect for freezing for later!
A cozy, protein-rich winter soup
It’s officially soup season, and in my opinion, there’s nothing better than a hearty, protein-rich, cozy-feeling soup. This creamy chicken and wild rice soup recipe checks all of those boxes!
From the filling rice to the satisfying chicken and all of the flavors in between, this popular soup is sure to wow guests at any dinner party or make family dig in for seconds when you cook it up as the perfect weeknight meal. It yields 8 large servings, making it great for a crowd!
Like many soups, it stores well too. Enjoy it tonight and reheat leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch!
Ingredients in chicken and rice cream soup
Ingredients in this dish consist of rice, lots and lots of veggies, a stellar lineup of herbs, and of course chicken! It also includes butter, flour, broth, and heavy cream, all of which help us achieve the perfect soup texture and flavor.
- Rice: First up for this recipe, you will need 1 cup of uncooked rice.
- Butter: 4 tbsp of butter will be used to cook the veggies.
- Vegetables: Next up are the vegetables. You will need 1 white onion, 3 celery stalks, and 3 carrots. They will need to be diced into small pieces.
- Garlic: Add flavor with 3 cloves of minced garlic.
- Herbs: Then, follow the garlic with herby flavor consisting of 1 tsp each of dried thyme, sage, and rosemary.
- Salt & pepper: Finish off the spices with 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- Flour: 1/3 cup of flour will be used to thicken up the soup.
- Chicken broth: 6 cups of chicken broth serve as the liquid component of the recipe. If you have a container with 5 cups, you can add a cup of water to replace the 6th cup of broth.
- Chicken breasts: As for the chicken, you will need 1 lb.
- Heavy cream: Finally, finish off the recipe with 1 cup of heavy cream.
Tools needed to create this recipe
To make this dish, you will need a large pot, a Dutch oven, a sitrring utensil, and utensils to shred the chicken (such as a pair of forks or a cutting board and a knife). Be sure to gather measuring cups as well, including 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/3 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make creamy chicken wild rice soup
Ready to dive in? This recipe comes together by cooking the rice, sauteing the veggies, and adding the rest of the soup ingredients. It’s as easy as pie (and should definitely be followed by a nice piece of pie for dessert).
To begin, start by preparing the rice according to the directions on the box. Set aside.
Then, grab a large dutch oven and set it over medium-high heat. Add the butter. Once melted, add the chopped onions, celery, and carrots. Let it cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Mix in the thyme, sage, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir in the flour and let it cook for about 2 minutes, stirring the entire time.
Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stirring after every cup to ensure that there are no clumps of flour. Once all of the broth has been added, add the raw chicken breasts. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 14-16 minutes. Remove the cooked chicken and let it cool for a few minutes before shredding. While you wait, turn the soup heat down to very low.
Once the chicken has been shredded, return it to the pot. Add the cooked rice, and then stir in the heavy cream. Let the soup simmer over medium heat for 10 more minutes. Taste and add additional seasonings as needed.
What to serve with creamy chicken wild rice soup
Wild rice and chicken soup can be served with many different dishes.
Feeling a soup and sandwich combo? Pair this soup with Grilled Cheese!
Have leftovers? You can store extra soup in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, and in the freezer for up to 1 month. For either storage method, be sure to transfer the soup to an airtight container or freezer bag before storing.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
In need of some more soup recipes? Check out the soup archives, or choose from one of the favorites, listed below!
- Best Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Lightened Up Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Easy French Onion Soup
- Thai Inspired Chicken Meatball Soup
All recipes by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Sierra Inn
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 white onion, diced small
- 3 stalks celery, diced small
- 3 carrots, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each dried thyme, sage, and rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1lb chicken breasts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Prepare rice according to directions on box. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, heat to medium-high. Add butter. Once melted, add chopped onions, celery, and carrots and let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in garlic and cook for another minute.
- Mix in thyme, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper. Then stir in flour and let cook for about 2 minutes, stirring the entire time.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth, stirring after every cup to ensure there are no clumps of flour. Once all broth has been added, add in raw chicken breasts. Cover with lid and bring to boil. Once boiling, cook for 14-16 minutes. Take cooked chicken out and let cook for a few minutes before shredding – turn soup heat down very low while doing this.
- Once chicken has been shredded, add back to pot along with the cooked rice. Then stir in the heavy cream. Let simmer over medium heat for 10 more minutes. Taste and add any other seasonings needed.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂