For a meal that’s just as savory and filling as it is zesty and tangy, try this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup! Filled with delicious flavor agents and stocked with filling protein sources, this is a soup perfect for the entire family.
A perfect chicken orzo soup recipe
Are you looking for a soup that’s warm, cozy, full of protein, with a bit of a tangy flavor? Then this recipe is exactly what you need!
Lemon chicken orzo soup is a fantastic meal option for so many reasons. It’s loaded up with veggies (carrots, celery, onion), contains lots of flavor (lemon and garlic, anyone?), and it’s pretty easy to make!
Because it contains both orzo and chicken, this soup is filled with protein and carbs and gives you that cozy full feeling after just one serving. It’s a great weekday option, and the kiddos will love it too.
Ingredients in chicken and orzo soup
In addition to the chicken, lemon, and orzo ingredients as indicated by the recipe title, we will be using a few flavorings and ingredients to truly make this soup pop.
- Carrot: First up for orzo soup we have carrots! You will need 4 sticks, peeled and chopped.
- Celery: Similarly, chop 4 sticks of celery.
- Onion: Finally for the veggies, diced up 1/2 of a large yellow onion.
- Avocado oil: You will need about 2 tbsp of avocado oil to sauté the veggies before adding the other soup ingredients.
- Garlic: As always, garlic! Include 3 minced cloves, or more to taste if preferred.
- Seasonings: For flavor, add salt, pepper, and dried thyme in the amount of 1/2 tsp each.
- Chicken stock: To create the liquid consistency of soup, we’ll be using 8 cups of chicken stock. You can also use vegetable stock if preferred.
- Lemons: Lemons are the star of this dish, and the ingredient responsible for that delicious zesty, tangy flavor! We will use the juice of 3 lemons.
- Orzo: Finally, the oomph! Measure out 1.5 cups of uncooked orzo.
- Chicken breasts: Next up is the protein. We’ll be using 3 large chicken breasts. They will need to be cooked and diced into pieces before adding to the soup. You can use 4 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken if you want to skip the chicken-cooking step.
- Spinach: Finally, add some greens by including 1/2 bag of spinach.
Tools needed for this recipe
This recipe only requires four kitchen tools: a cutting board, chopping knife, dutch oven or sauce pan (with a lid), and a stirring utensil!
As for measuring ingredients, you’ll need four sizes: 1/2 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
Easy enough, right?!
How to make lemon chicken orzo soup
For orzo soup I like to prep everything ahead of time, which means cutting the veggies and cooking the chicken. It just speeds up the entire process and makes dinner a breeze!
To begin, start by preparing the veggies as needed.
Next, heat the avocado oil in a large dutch oven or sauce pan.
Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pan and let cook for 5 minutes (or until they begin to soften).
Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme, and cook for another 3 minutes.
Then, pour in the chicken broth and lemon juice. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the orzo and cooked chicken. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Turn off the heat and add the spinach. The soup will thicken as it sits.
What to serve with lemon orzo soup
Serving up your lemon chicken orzo soup course and wondering what to pair it with? Here are some ideas!
If you’re not feeling a salad, pair your soup with something that feels a bit heartier while also getting your greens in! Try one of these side dish favorites: Garlic Sesame Green Beans, Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts, or snag the asparagus from this recipe!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Chicken often makes its way into my dinner meals, both for the flavor and the nutrition, but also for the versatility. You can cook it so many different ways! Dive into some of my favorites below.
- Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Cranberry Chicken Casserole
- Easy Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photography by Moriah Sawtelle
- 4 carrot sticks, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 1.5 cups uncooked orzo
- 3 large chicken breasts, cooked + diced into pieces (alternatively 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 bag of spinach
- Prepare veggies as needed.
- In a large dutch oven or sauce pan, heat avocado oil.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery to pan. Let cook for 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add in garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and the juice of three lemons. Cover with lid and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in orzo and cooked chicken. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and add in spinach. The soup will thicken as it sits. Serve!
Store in fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for longer.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂