Enjoy the perfect spring or summer salad with this Grilled BBQ Shrimp Salad recipe. Made with a homemade honey and BBQ sauce dressing, you can’t go wrong!
The most delicious BBQ shrimp salad recipe
Today we’re whipping out the grill and gearing up for the warm weather ahead with a delicious, filling, über satisfying grilled BBQ shrimp salad! This salad uses traditional ingredients like romaine, cucumber, tomato, and onion, and amps them up with the addition of sautéed corn, avocado, and shrimp!
To pack in the flavor, we’ll be creating a from-scratch sauce that we’ll use as both a marinade and a dressing!
Ingredients in grilled BBQ shrimp salad
As with any great salad, this one contains an ingredient list for both the base and the delicious 7-ingredient sauce. By using BBQ sauce, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and honey, we’re able to create a sauce filled with flavors both savory and sweet. They create the perfect balance!
- Shrimp: First thing’s first: the shrimp! You’ll want to use 1 lb for that perfect shrimp-to-salad ratio. They should be raw and deveined before grilling. If using frozen shrimp, allow them to thaw before cooking.
- Avocado oil: 1 tbsp of avocado oil will be used to help the corn reach the perfect level of crispiness.
- Corn: You will need 1 can of drained corn.
- Romaine lettuce: Use 2 hearts of chopped romaine as the salad base.
- English cucumber: Next, you’ll need 1/2 of a large English cucumber. Dice it into small pieces.
- Tomato: Follow the cucumber with 1 large tomato, also diced.
- Red onion: Chop 1 small, diced red onion for some extra flavor.
- Avocado: Finish off the salad portion of the recipe with 2 diced avocados.
- BBQ sauce: The marinade uses a base consisting of 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. Any brand will work!
- Avocado oil: Mix in 1/2 cup of avocado oil to help the dressing reach the correct consistency.
- Lemon juice: Include 1/4 cup of lemon juice for a tangy zing.
- Apple cider vinegar: 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar brings everything together.
- Honey: Add a dash of sweet flavor by including 2 tbsp of honey.
- Salt & Pepper: Last but not least, finish off the marinade with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper.
Tools needed to make this recipe
To make this salad, you will need a handful of kitchen tools followed by various measuring cups. If you don’t have a grill, feel free to cook the shrimp on the stove! It will be just as delicious.
- 2 mixing bowls
- Small pan
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Large bowl or plate
- Nonstick spray
For measuring ingredients, you will need the following sized measuring cups: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, and 1/2 cup.
How to make barbecue shrimp salad
This recipe begins by prepping the marinade for the shrimp. Then, we get into the veggie portion of the dish. The entire recipe takes around 35 minutes from start to finish.
Begin by making the marinade/dressing by whisking together all of the ingredients.
Next, add the raw shrimp to a bowl and cover with 1/3 cup of the marinade. Mix everything together and then set it aside for 20 minutes.
In a small pan, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat and add the corn. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the corn is golden brown and starting to char.
Next, prepare the salad by chopping the vegetables and adding them to a big bowl or large plate.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
Grill the shrimp directly on the grill, in a grill tray, or on skewers. Grill for 2 minutes on each side.
Add the grilled shrimp to the salad, and top with all of the veggies, corn, avocado, and remaining dressing.
If you want to take your salad a step further, there are some additional ingredient options that you can include! Though nearly any salad item will work well, here are some items in particular to try.
For veggies, load up with the addition of chopped bell peppers (any color), cherry or grape tomatoes, radishes, shallots, and/or green onions. Then, feel free to add even more flavor with herbs and seasonings like thyme, parsley, garlic, and/or cilantro.
Leftover BBQ shrimp salad should be refrigerated immediately upon cooling. Keep everything stored in an airtight container to lock in the freshness, and then refrigerate for up to 2 days.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
A hearty salad always makes for a filling and satisfying meal. Here are some more salad options that curb hunger and supply loads of nutrients!
- Grilled Steak and Peach Salad
- Chicken Cobb Salad with Avocado Dressing
- Light and Easy Broccoli Salad
- Healthy Chicken Ceasar Salad
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 1lb raw shrimp, deveined and thawed if previously frozen.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 hearts of romaine, chopped.
- 1/2 large English cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Make marinade/dressing by whisking together all ingredients.
- Add raw shrimp to a bowl and cover with 1/3 cup of marinade. Mix together and set aside for 20 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp avocado oil over medium-high heat and add corn. Cook 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and starting to char.
- Prepare salad by chopping all veggies and adding to a big bowl or large plate.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
- Grill shrimp directly on grill, in grill tray or on skewers for 2 minutes on each side.
- Add grilled shrimp to salad, top off with all veggies, corn, avocado and the remaining dressing.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂