Turn up the grill and the flavor with Honey BBQ Grilled Chicken Skewers. Easy and simple to make, these delicious kabobs are sure to be a hit!
The honey bbq meal of the summer
Crank up the grill, because summer time is officially here! There is nothing better in the summer than enjoying a nice, grilled meal outdoors. It’s even better when the meal is easy to make!
Today we’re making honey bbq grilled chicken skewers, a recipe that checks all of those boxes and tastes downright delicious. They’re made with peppers, onion, and pineapple for an extra yummy zing!
Then, we’re using a honey bbq sauce as a delicious marinade turned dipping sauce, made with yogurt, honey, bbq, and a few other flavorings. You can enjoy these skewers as-is, or serve them atop a bed of fluffy white rice!
Ingredients in honey bbq chicken skewers
When it comes to ingredients, we’re keeping things simple! You’ll need chicken, peppers, onion, and pineapple, followed by the honey bbq sauce ingredients.
- Chicken: First up, you’ll need 3 chicken breasts, or 1.5 lbs total.
- Peppers: Add crunch to the skewers with two bell peppers – 1 orange and 1 yellow.
- Onion: Add 1 small red onion for delicious, potent flavor.
- Pineapple: Finally, create yummy tropical flavor with 2 cups of cubed pineapple!
Honey BBQ Sauce
- Yogurt: The base of the homemade honey bbq sauce is made of 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt. It needs to be a plain flavor.
- Honey: Add 1/4 cup of honey to get that delicious mix of honey and bbq!
- BBQ sauce: Then, include 1 cup of your favorite bbq sauce – any type will work!
- Soy sauce: Add a delicious taste with 1/4 cup of soy sauce.
- Sriracha: 2 tsp of sriracha will add a subtle kick (you can add more if you want it extra hot).
- Seasonings: Finally, season the sauce with 1 tsp of smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp of ground ginger, and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
Tools needed to create this recipe
Honey bbq chicken kabobs require a few different kitchen tools, starting with a cutting board nad knife. From there you’ll need a small mixing bowl and stirring utensil for preparing the marinade, followed by skewers, a large mixing bowl, and a cooking brush.
For measuring, you’ll need 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, and 1 cup sized cups.
How to make honey bbq grilled chicken skewers
Skewers are one of the easiest ways to have a hearty, nutrient-rich meal. The prep time isn’t long (about 10 minutes) and the cook time is similar! The only part that takes some time is the marinade, which needs to sit for at least 2 hours. That gives the ingredients time to soak up all of the delicious flavor!
First, cut the chicken breasts, peppers, onion, and pineapple into cubes.
In a small bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, honey, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, smoked paprika, ground ginger, and pepper until smooth.
Add half of the sauce to the bowl with the chicken and veggies, and let it marinate for 2-24 hours.
When ready to grill, add everything to skewers and grill for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165ºF. Turn it halfway through.
During the last minute, brush the skewers with more honey barbecue sauce.
Serve the chicken skewers with the remaining sauce for dipping.
If you want to add to your kabobs, there are so many veggies and ingredients that you can use!
- Mushrooms (button is delish!)
- Green bell peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
The nice thing about these honey bbq grilled chicken skewers is that they store very well. You can prep and freeze them for enjoying within 2 months, or you can keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days.
The freezer route is great because it allows you to have a near ready meal whenever you need it. Simply prep the skewers, freeze them, and then grill directly from the freezer when ready! You don’t need to thaw them first.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Need some more hearty chicken-based meals? Between soup, salad, and casserole, these have you covered!
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Healthy Chicken Caesar Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 chicken breasts, about 1.5 lbs chicken
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cups cubed pineapple
Honey BBQ sauce
- 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cut up three chicken breasts, peppers, red onion, and pineapple into cubes.
- In a small bowl, mix together Greek yogurt, honey, BBQ sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, smoked paprika, ground ginger and pepper until smooth.
- Add half of sauce to bowl with chicken and veggies and marinate for 2-24 hours.
- When ready to grill, add everything to skewers and grill for 10-12 minutes or until chicken reaches 165F turning halfway through.
- During the last minute, brush with more honey bbq sauce.
- Serve chicken skewers with remaining sauce for dipping.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂