Cool down and refresh with a Healthy Pina Colada made with pineapple, coconut milk, lime juice, honey, and your favorite white rum.
The most refreshing pina coladas
That time is almost here again… warmth, sunshine, and all things summer! As the weather begins to get a bit warmer, refreshing drinks are all the more needed. So today, we’re whipping together one of my favorites — a healthy pina colada that capitalizes on that delicious pineapple and coconut taste!
You’ll need only 6 items and less than 5 minutes for this delicious recipe. Grab your blender and your favorite garnishes, and let’s make some pina coladas!
Ingredients in this healthy pina colada recipe
For this low calorie pina colada, we’re pulling out all of the stops and creating one delicious flavor blast of a drink. With coconut milk, lime juice, and honey, the taste is unbeatable!
- Pineapple: First up, you’ll need 3 cups of frozen pineapple. Frozen is best in this recipe because it gives the pina colada that a nice, refreshing icy texture.
- Milk: Next, use 1 cup of coconut milk as the liquid component, both for texture and flavor.
- Lime Juice: Add 2 tbsp of lime juice for a slight zing.
- Honey: 2 tbsp of honey adds a nice level of sweetness.
- Ice: Use 1 cup of ice for extra texture.
- Rum: Use 3/4 cup of white rum to make your colada complete!
- Garnishes: Finally, top with the garnishes of your choice. I recommend pineapple chunks, extra lime juice, luxardo cherries, and even a drink umbrella!
Tools required to make this recipe
Pina coladas couldn’t be simpler to make. All you need is a high speed blender and a few measuring cups (1 tbsp, 3/4 cup, and 1 cup)! A cutting board may come in handy for cutting a lime, but you won’t need it if you use lime juice from a bottle.
How to make a healthy pina colada
Healthy pina coladas are made in only two steps — just blend and serve!
Add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
Then, add extra honey to reach your desired flavor. Depending on your preference, you may not need extra!
Once you reach the perfect flavor, serve in chilled glasses with the garnishes of your choice!
Delicious recipe variations
Pina coladas can be transformed to your liking by using your favorite ingredients and garnishes.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk helps to give pina coladas their signature flavor. If you’re out, you could use regular milk and add in a few drops of coconut extract or a couple teaspoons of coconut cream.
- Rum: If you’re not a rum person, it can be swapped with your favorite vodka! And of course, you can always skip the alcohol altogether if you’re looking for a non-alcoholic recipe.
- Add yogurt: Want to thicken up your drink? Add yogurt! You can use pineapple, coconut, or plain flavored options. About 1/2-3/4 cup should do.
- Add mangos: For a tropical twist, sub 1/2 of the frozen pineapple with frozen mangoes! This will give you a delicious result that will have you feeling like you’re sitting on the beach somewhere tropical.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Want to try some more of my delicious drink recipes? Here are three of my favorites, including the perfect morning coffee smoothie! Enjoy!
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 3 cups frozen pineapple
- 1 cup coconut milk from can, shake can before measuring – if top part is hard, mix up as best you can before measuring. The white part is what you want!
- 3/4 cup white rum
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup ice
- Garnish: pineapple, lime, luxardo cherry, drink umbrella
- In a high speed blender, add all ingredients and blend until totally smooth. Add more honey to match preferred sweetness.
- Serve in chilled glasses and garnish as desired.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂