Oven, meet pumpkin baked goods. This season, fill your home with yummy flavors as you make these Healthy Pumpkin Scones. Quick, easy, and a million times worth it!
The perfect intro to autumn
Every year, I get absolutely amped as summer rolls around. It always feel like winter drags on, and the thought of being able to step outside without an ounce of chilly discomfort always leaves me eagerly anticipating the warmer months.
But, by the end of the summer, I feel the same way about autumn! The thought of crisp leaves, evening breezes, and fall decor as far as the eye can see make me dive head first into my season-inspired cooking. And we all know what that means… pumpkin.
As you can see, my website is filled with pumpkin recipes! It’s clear that I take every opportunity possible to incorporate it into my meals. And not just baked goods either. Though there are lots of those, I also make pumpkin chili, french toast, and even hummus!
But today, we’re getting back to my pumpkin roots and whipping up something sweet and satisfying with these healthy pumpkin scones. These little joy-filled roll ups prove to be perfectly crunchy and delicious with each bite.
They’re the best pumpkin breakfast or dessert and make a great pairing with coffee. You can even dunk ’em!
What’s used to make pumpkin scones
Pumpkin scones are brought about by using standard baking ingredients like flour, oil, vanilla, and sugar. What sets these scones apart and takes them up a notch is the tasty white chocolate drizzle! It’s the perfect final touch on this cozy treat.
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Softened coconut oil (not melted)
- Pumpkin puree
- Coconut sugar
- White chocolate chips
Kitchen tools you’ll need to make scones
For this pumpkin dessert you’ll need a handful of items like mixing bowls and a baking sheet. Be sure to use your measuring cups, as the correct ratios will be crucial in achieving the scones’ desired consistency.
For measuring out ingredients, you’ll need the following sizes: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy pumpkin scones
The best part about this recipe is that it’s quite simple. All you have to do is form a dough and then bake it in the oven for a bit! It’ll come together in about 40 minutes total, leaving you with crunchy, flakey, you-can’t-eat-just-one scones.
To begin making your scones, preheat the oven to 350F.
Then, stir in the softened coconut oil and mix until the dough is very crumbly.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir everything together until a dough like consistency is achieved.
Next, stir in the chocolate chips.
Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and form it into a round shape.
Then, cut the circle into 6 equal pieces and separate them a bit on the sheet.
Bake for 22-27 minutes, or until slightly golden brown.
Drizzle the melted chocolate and coconut oil mixture onto the scones.
Let the chocolate harden on the scones by leaving them on the counter or placing them in the refrigerator.
A healthier dessert option
Throughout this recipe I use a number of ingredients that serve as healthier alternatives. Here is a full list of the healthy swaps that were used!
- Almond & coconut flour: I use both almond flour and coconut flour instead of all-purpose because they provide more nutrients.
- Coconut oil: Where most baking recipes use vegetable or canola oil, I like to stick with coconut as it’s a more all-natural option.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar was used in place of white sugar for obvious reasons. It has a lower glycemic index and won’t cause your blood sugar to skyrocket!
How to store healthy pumpkin scones
Don’t worry, these scones are so simple to store. They shouldn’t lose their consistency when kept at room temperature in an airtight container.
Whip up a large batch for enjoying with your coffee before work throughout the week!
Your own stash of pumpkin recipes
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, pumpkin recipes are my #1 go-to in the fall. Check out all of my fun pumpkin ideas, or browse my favorites as listed below!
- Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Savory Pumpkin Hummus
- Five Minute Pumpkin French Toast
- No-Bake Pumpkin Bites
- Easy Pumpkin Chili (Instant Pot or Stove Top)
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or blend of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup softened, not melted, coconut oil.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Stir in softened coconut oil, until dough is very crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, pumpkin, coconut sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until dough like consistency.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place dough on parchment lined baking sheet and form into round shape.
- Cut into 6 equal pieces and separate on sheet.
- Bake for 22-27 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Once scones have completely cooled, melt white chocolate chips with coconut oil in microwave. Drizzle onto scones. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂