Healthy Zucchini Cake is the answer to healthy dessert-ing woes! It’s light, fluffy, rich, and perfectly chocolatey. Made with almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, and grated zucchini, you can’t go wrong!
Let’s Make Zucchini Cake
The tastiest healthy zucchini cake there ever was
Carrots are hands down the vegetable most commonly associated with cake. Because, after all, who doesn’t like a nice warm slice of carrot cake with rich cream cheese frosting?
However, the truth is that zucchini is a close runner up in the veggie-turned-cake world, if not already in the #1 spot. Zucchinis are a surprisingly versatile veggie that can be used in a number of ways (zucchini pasta, anyone?). When mixed with various baking ingredients, the taste is completely masked. No, this cake will not taste like a vegetable!
This zucchini cake recipe is rich, fluffy, super chocolatey, and incredibly delicious. It’s a wonderful way to sneak veggies into your day!
Ingredients used to make healthy chocolate cake
For this recipe, we’ll be using many of my favorite baking staples. You’ll see almond flour, almond butter, and of course, coconut oil! Mix these (among other things) with grated zucchini for a cake that provides a flavor blast in each and every bite.
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Almond butter
- Coconut oil (melted)
- Maple syrup
- Zucchini (grated, and squeezed dry to take out extra water; skin can be left on)
- Chocolate chips
Kitchen tools you’ll need for this recipe
You only need 5 main tools for this recipe. In terms of the pan size, you can use whatever you have! If using something larger than 8×8, you may not need as much baking time. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
- 8×8 pan
- Parchment paper or nonstick spray
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Measurements: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1 cup
How to make healthy zucchini cake
Healthy zucchini cake is made just like any other cake. The only extra ingredient involves grating the zucchini (although many grocery stores now sell pre-grated options). We’ll be mixing the dry ingredients, then the wet, and then adding them together. This recipe should take just under an hour!
Before you begin, be sure that your zucchini has been grated. Remove all water by pressing with a paper towel.
Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and nonstick spray.
In a small bowl, mix the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet until everything is well combined.
Next, fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
Pour everything into an 8×8 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
Store on the counter or in the fridge.
Ingredient substitution options
Here are a few common ingredient swaps that you may be interested in using in your chocolate cake.
- Eggs: Chia seeds and apple sauce are a vegan’s baking BFF! Mix 2 tablespoons of chia seeds with 6 tablespoons of water and let them sit until the water has been absorbed. Then, add to your mix. Alternatively, you can try to use 1/2 cup of applesauce!
- Almond butter: You can use any nut butter in this recipe. Peanut, cashew, or even sunflower-made versions will work!
- Coconut oil: Any similar high-fat baking oil can replace coconut oil in this recipe.
- Maple syrup: For a similar all-natural sweetener, use honey or molasses. Don’t use a 1:1 ratio from the start. Instead, add a little less and then add more to taste.
A healthier cake option
Healthy zucchini cake is just that – healthy! It’s still a dessert, yes, but it uses alternative ingredients that are much more nutrient-rich than what you’ll find in standard recipes. Here are some of the healthier swaps that I used!
Flour is so much better when it’s made from almonds! This is my go-to in all of my baking recipes because it’s more nutrient-rich than all-purpose white flour. Plus, it tastes great.
When I started using almond butter, my life changed! Don’t get me wrong, I still love peanut butter. But sometimes almond butter is better suited to the recipe.
Finally, maple syrup is another ingredient present in pretty much all of my baking. It’s the perfect sweetener because it’s all-natural and isn’t overpowering. It’s just the right amount of flavor!
More delicious zucchini desserts to try
If you liked this zucchini cake, you’ll love my other easy healthy recipes too! All are made with zucchini and are chocolatey and filled with so much flavor. The brownies are my personal fave!
- Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Paleo Zucchini Brownies
- Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Paleo Zucchini Bread (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 8×8 pan with parchment paper and nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with almond butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour into 8×8 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting into.
- Store on counter or in fridge.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂