Power your morning, afternoon, or workout with Peanut Butter Energy Bars. Made with rolled oat, chia seeds, and chocolate chips, these tasty bars are the perfect pick-me-up!
An at home and easy to make energy bar recipe
It’s two o’clock and you feel yourself needing a small boost of energy. Welcome to my daily afternoons! Just kidding. But on a serious note, afternoon slumps are no match for these peanut butter energy bars. Made right in your own kitchen, there’s no better pick-me-up!
Homemade peanut butter power bars are the perfect treat. They’re made with yummy ingredients (like honey and chocolate chips), and are perfect for getting through long work days, boosting your energy before a workout, or fueling your morning as a breakfast bite!
Ingredients in chocolate peanut butter energy bars
This energy bar recipe is made with a base of rolled oats and peanut butter, followed by yummy mix ins that provide nutrients and great flavor at the same time.
- Rolled Oats: 2 cups of rolled oats serve as the base layer of the energy bars. This amount will help create about _ servings.
- Natural Peanut Butter: Next up, add amazing butter flavor with 1 cup of natural peanut butter.
- Chia Seed: Chia seeds add fiber and loads of other important nutrients. Since we’re using ½ cup, they’ll also contribute to the bulk and texture of the bars!
- Honey: For a sweet additive to go along with the peanut butter, add in ½ cup of honey.
- Chocolate Chips: Include 1 ¼ cup of chocolate chips for obvious reasons!
- Coconut Oil: Finally, 1 tsp of coconut oil will help all of the ingredients stay together.
Tools needed to create homemade power bars
To create your energy bars, gather the following items:
- Large mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Microwavable bowl
- Non-stick spray or oil
- 8×8 baking dish
For measuring, you’ll need the following sized cups: 1 tsp, ¼ cup, ½ cup, and 1 cup.
How to make peanut butter energy bars
Now that we have all the ingredients ready to go, let’s jump straight into preparing these delicious homemade energy bars!
Next, stir in ¼ cup of chocolate chips.
Press the mixture into a greased 8×8 dish.
Pour the remainder of the chocolate chips in a bowl and melt in 30 second increments until they’re totally smooth.
Pour the chocolate over top of the bars and place them in the fridge for at least one hour before cutting. After they are cut, store them in the fridge.
How these power bars are healthier
When you pick up a box of energy bars in the grocery store, even the healthiest brands are usually full of preservatives, chemicals, and otherwise icky ingredients. Though some brands can be okay in moderation, I prefer to make my own so that I know exactly what’s going into them!
Do you have a favorite flavor or cookie that you want to add to this recipe? Add them! Dried fruit makes a great addition, whether apples, bananas, berries, mangoes, or pineapple! For a chocolatey addition, add candy like crushed Twix or Kit-Kats, or include Oreos!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Did you like this recipe? Try these mouth watering bars next! Each one is hand crafted right at home and a great way to keep things healthier while satisfying your sweet tooth. Enjoy!
- Paleo Turtle Bars
- Healthy Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
- Healthier Millionaire Bars (Gluten-Free)
- Pumpkin Oat Bars
Recipe by Erin Morrissey + Photography by Moriah Sawtelle
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, peanut butter, chia seeds, and honey.
- Stir in 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Press into greased 8×8 pan.
- Pour remainder of chocolate chips in bowl and melt with coconut oil in 30 second increments until totally smooth.
- Pour chocolate over top of bars and place in fridge for at least one hour before cutting. Store in fridge.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂