Healthy whole wheat banana bread that is a crowd favorite!
One of my favorite things in life is having overripe bananas. It’s like they are begging for me to bake with them. I have been trying to come up with fun and creative ways to use them in recipes (banana bread granola coming soon!) but everyone needs a staple banana bread recipe, am I right?
Part of the reason why I’m ending up with so many bananas is because my current apartment doesn’t have any central air conditioning and my roommate and I are finding that our bananas are ripening so quickly. We could get a bunch of green bananas on Sunday and they will be brown and spotty but the weekend! I guess that is just another excuse to bake.
Over the course of the past two months, I think I have made five different banana breads. Each one was pretty good, but I never was thrilled enough to share. I’ve been so particular in my banana bread making because I really wanted to find the perfect healthier recipe that I would be proud of if people made it.
This recipe calls for whole wheat flour, the only oil is coconut, and there isn’t any refined sugar in it. It turned out so moist, perfectly sweet and even better topped with nut butter – just like most foods in life. I’m so excited to finally share it with you all because this one has been a long time coming.
If you find yourself with ripe bananas or just in the mood to make a healthier version of banana bread, I’ve got the perfect recipe for you!
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- ¼ cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- Toppings of choice
- Preheat oven to 325F and prepare muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix oil and honey together.
- Add in whisked eggs and stir.
- Add in mashed bananas, milk, and vanilla.
- In separate bowl mix remainder of dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine.
- Pour into greased bread loaf pan (Add toppings of choice (nuts, banana chips, chocolate chips, cinnamon) Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.