Elevate this week’s pizza night with the ultimate Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe. Made with BBQ sauce, two types of cheese (looking at you, mozzarella and gouda), red onion, and cilantro, this ‘za is perfect for cheese and savory flavor lovers!
A delicious and easy BBQ chicken pizza recipe
Pizza is always a good idea. Seriously… always. Whether it’s thick or thin-crusted or topped with meats galore or a veggie ensemble, it’s hard to get a truly bad slice. But above all other cooking methods and flavor combos comes a pizza recipe that truly pleases a crowd. It’s this grilled BBQ chicken pizza, and it is nothing short of an absolute savory treat.
This flavor-packed pizza is topped with the most savory ingredients: BBQ sauce (obviously), two types of cheese, red onion, and cilantro. Is your mouth watering yet?! To make matters even more delicious, it’s cooked on the grill for a downright impeccable crust and grilled-to-perfection flavor.
Ingredients in this grilled BBQ chicken pizza recipe
This grilled pizza includes the most delicious toppings. The cheese combo is a must!
- Pizza dough: First up, you’ll need some pizza dough. Prepackaged works perfectly! It should be room temperature.
- Chicken: Next, you will need 1.5 cups of cooked and shredded chicken.
- BBQ sauce: BBQ sauce is going to be our first flavoring. You will use 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp total, and it will be divided in half to use in two places in the recipe.
- Mozzarella: Next up is our first cheese, mozzarella! Use 1 1/4 cup shredded.
- Gouda: Follow the mozzarella with some good gouda. Again, use 1 1/4 cup shredded.
- Red onion: Add some crunch and flavor with 1/2 cup of red onion, sliced thin.
- Cilantro: Last but not least, use cilantro to garnish!
Kitchen tools you’ll need to make this pizza
To make this BBQ chicken pizza, you will need a handful of kitchen tools, a grill, and a few measuring cups.
- Pizza stone or rimless baking sheet
- Nonstick spray or brush and oil
- Food brush
- Small mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
To measure out ingredients, grab 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup sized measuring cups.
How to make grilled BBQ chicken pizza
Fire up the grill, and let’s dive in and create this delicious meal! This pizza comes together quite easily. Shaping the dough is probably the trickiest part!
To begin, add the pizza dough to a floured pizza stone or rimless baking sheet. Form it into the desired shape, stretching it from the center outward. Let rest for 10 minutes, and then stretch again. No need to make a rim; just keep the dough flat as you stretch it.
Preheat the grill to high, and then grease the grates with nonstick spray or a brush and oil.
Place the dough directly on the grill, close the lid, and let it cook for 5 minutes.
Remove the dough from the grill and flip it over so the grilled side is up.
To the grilled side, add 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce and brush it around. Then, add half of the mozzarella and half of the gouda.
In a small bowl, add the remainder of the BBQ sauce and chicken and mix until well combined. Then, add the chicken to the pizza.
Layer red onions on top, followed by the remainder of the cheese.
Place the pizza back on the grill for another 4-5 minutes, or until the crust has cooked and the cheese has melted.
Remove from the grill, add the cilantro, and let rest for a couple of minutes before cutting.
Why grilled pizza?
Grilled pizza is arguably one of the most delicious cooking methods. What’s great about it is that it almost takes on a wood-fired taste! Plus, the cheese melts down perfectly, and you can add any toppings you’d like. If you want to add some more flavors to this pizza, you could add tomatoes, green pepper, or black olives! They all taste great with that slightly-grilled flavor.
The great thing about pizza (besides the fact that it’s… pizza) is that it’s versatile! If you’re missing an ingredient, you can easily swap it with something else.
Mozzarella can be swapped for feta or cotija cheese. Of course, you can always double up on gouda if you’re out!
Is gouda absent from your refrigerator cheese drawer? Go for monterey jack or cheddar instead!
Don’t worry about being strict on the red onion. You can use white or yellow if that’s what you have!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
In the mood for some more cheesy dishes? Try one of these! From the pizza casserole to the broccoli cheddar soup, there’s an option for any craving.
- Easy Pizza Casserole Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole with Cauliflower
- Best Classic Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Lightened Up Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- prepackaged pizza dough from grocery store, room temperature
- 1.5 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/4 cup shredded gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced thin red onion
- cilantro for topping
- On a floured pizza stone or rimless baking sheet, form pizza dough into desired shape, stretching out from center outwards. Let rest 10 minutes and stretch again. No need to make a rim, just keep dough flat as you are stretching it.
- Preheat the grill to high, then grease grates with nonstick spray or with a brush and oil.
- Place dough directly onto grill, close lid, and let cook 5 minutes.
- Take dough off grill and flip over so that grilled size is up.
- To grilled side, add 1/2 cup bbq sauce and brush it around, then add half of each of the cheeses.
- In a small bowl, add remainder of bbq sauce and chicken, mix until well combined. Then add the chicken onto the pizza.
- Layer red onion slices, then top with remaining cheese.
- Place pizza back on the grill for another 4-5 minutes, or until crust has cooked and cheese has melted.
- Pull off the grill and let rest for a couple of minutes before cutting into.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂