Homemade shrimp has never been so tasty! With this Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp recipe, each crispy coconut bite is delicious, healthy, and made complete with a pineapple tropical sauce.
A quick and simple healthy shrimp recipe
There’s coconut shrimp, and then there’s healthy air fryer coconut shrimp. And let me tell you, there’s a huge difference between the two! As soon as you try these little coconut breaded shrimps dipped in the tangy tropical sauce, there will be no going back.
The shrimp are “breaded” with a flour, seasoning, egg, and honey mixture, and then coated in shredded coconut for a flavor blast in each bite. The tropical sauce is made with yogurt, pineapple, coconut, honey, and salt, and it does not disappoint.
Air fryer coconut shrimp make the perfect appetizer or snack. I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Air fryer coconut shrimp ingredients
This recipe is made by coating the shrimp with a 3-part mixture. They’re then air fried to perfection and paired with a tangy sauce made of delicious ingredients like pineapple and more coconut!
- Shrimp: First, you will need 1lb of raw, peeled, and deveined shrimp.
- Flour: For breading, start with 1/2 cup of coconut flour.
- Seasonings: Use 1/2 tsp each of smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. These will add the perfect amount of flavor!
- Eggs: An egg wash will be needed as part of the breading process. Use 2 eggs.
- Honey: Sweeten things up with 1 tbsp of honey.
- Coconut: Finally, use 3/4 cup of shredded coconut to get that rich flavor!
- Yogurt: The sauce begins with a base of 1/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt.
- Pineapple: Next, add 1/4 cup of crushed pineapple for a delicious tropical flavor!
- Coconut: Use 3 tbsp of shredded coconut, because extra coconut is never a bad idea.
- Honey: Add more honey for an extra dash of sweet flavor. Use 1 tbsp.
- Salt: Last but not least, finish off the sauce with 1/4 tsp of salt.
Tools used to make coconut shrimp
To make healthy coconut shrimp, you will simply need three small bowls and your air fryer. For measuring, you will need the following sized cups: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 3/4 cup.
How to make healthy air fryer coconut shrimp
Your very own homemade healthy coconut shrimp is only a bit of breading and air frying away! Set aside ___ minutes for making this recipe — that includes cook time.
To begin, clean and dry the shrimp.
Add the coconut flour, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to a small bowl and mix to combine.
In a separate bowl, mix the two eggs and honey.
Add the shredded coconut to a third bowl.
Dredge each shrimp in the coconut flour mixture, the egg mixture, and then coat in the shredded coconut. Be sure to coat all sides.
Next, place the shrimp in an air fryer and fry at 375F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
While the shrimp are air frying, mix all of the tropical sauce ingredients together. Adjust the ingredients to taste.
How this shrimp is healthier
To achieve a healthier coconut shrimp recipe, one key tool came into play: the air fryer!
Air fryers are a great cooking method because they eliminate the need for heavy oils, instead frying the food with hot air and achieving a result that’s equally crispy and tasty.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Want to dive into some similar recipes? Here are some delicious cilantro lime shrimp, salmon, and air fryer recipes to check out!
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp with Coconut Cauliflower Rice
- Cajun Parmesan Salmon
- Healthy Teriyaki Salmon
- Healthy Chicken Nuggets (Baked and Air Fried)
Photos by Moriah Sawtelle and recipe by Erin Antoniak.
- 1lb raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Prepare your shrimp so they are clean and dry.
- Take out three separate small bowls.
- Add coconut flour, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to one bowl. Mix.
- Add two eggs and honey to another bowl. Mix.
- Add shredded coconut to the last bowl.
- Take your dried shrimp and dredge in coconut flour mixture on both sides, then in egg mixture, then coat in shredded coconut. Repeat until all shrimp are coated.
- Place in air fryer at 375F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- While shrimp are air frying, mix together all tropical sauce ingredients. Taste and adjust based on liking.
- Serve shrimp and sauce together!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂