Make life a bit simpler with a quick and easy Classic Chicken Salad Recipe. This dish is made with all things delicious, from sweet relish and red onion to grapes and Greek yogurt. The 10 minute recipe serves a crowd of 12 and makes for an easy meal prep option!
An easy and quick classic chicken salad recipe
Let’s be honest — we’re busy! And though busy can be a good thing, it can definitely make for tricky choices at meal time. Maybe you don’t feel like cooking after a long day of work, or you simply don’t have the time! When one of those scenarios feels like reality, a simple and low-prep meal is a must. That’s where this classic chicken salad recipe comes in!
This easy (and very quick to prepare dish) comes together in under 10 minutes and is so easy to whip up. It’s made with a blend of chicken, veggies, grapes, yogurt, mayo, and spices, and requires nothing more than a bit of dicing. If using uncooked chicken, that will add a bit of cooking time. I recommend prepping the chicken ahead of time or grabbing a rotisserie! More on that in a minute.
When all is said and done, this recipe yields 12 delicious servings of this chicken salad, perfect for enjoying as a quick meal or meal prepping for a couple days’ worth of work lunches!
Ingredients in this recipe for chicken salad
This dish comes together with the help of 11 ingredients including pantry staples like salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts: Classic chicken salad begins with a base of 3 large chicken breasts. This amount is going to help create 12 1/2 cup servings.
- Sweet relish: Our first flavoring is sweet relish! This adds a delicious, somewhat tangy flavor to the dish. Use 1/2 cup.
- Celery: Next up, add some crunch with 1 cup of diced celery.
- Red onion: Follow that with diced red onion. 1/2 of a medium onion is a good amount for this dish.
- Grapes: Next, 1 cup of sliced grapes add a touch of sweet flavor to the chicken salad. You can use red or green grapes — up to you!
- Yogurt: Thicken up the dish by including 1 cup of 5% plain Greek yogurt. This tastes great alongside the grapes and other mix-ins.
- Mayonnaise: Follow the yogurt with 1/4 cup of mayonnaise. Any brand works!
- Dijon: Add a touch of flavor with 1 tbsp of dijon mustard.
- Salt and pepper: Follow the mustard with 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- Garlic powder: Last but not least, this dish is complete with the addition of 1/2 tsp of garlic powder!
Kitchen tools used to prepare relish and onion chicken salad
Making this dish requires minimal kitchen tools. Below is a list of everything you’ll need:
To measure out ingredients, you will need the following sized measuring cups: 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make this traditional chicken salad recipe
This recipe creates 12 hearty servings and is ready in less than 10 minutes if the chicken is already cooked. Here’s how it’s done!
First, finely shred the chicken by adding it to a food processor and pulsing for 10 seconds. Alternatively, you can shred the chicken by hand.
Add the shredded chicken to a large bowl, followed by the rest of the ingredients. Mix everything together until well combined.
Serve on bread, with chips, in a wrap, or on a salad.
Can I use rotisserie chicken?
You can! Though the ingredient list includes chicken breasts, a rotisserie chicken works just as well. This is a great idea, as it’s very easy to shred! It will save you any time you would’ve spent cooking the chicken breasts for this dish.
What do you eat with chicken salad?
There are so many dishes to pair with chicken salad. It just depends on your mood! Try it alongside a salad (Fresh Watermelon Salad with Feta, Cashew Crunch Salad, and Greek Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad all make delicious options).
What is the best way to eat classic chicken salad?
Chicken salad can be served as-is, or it can be enjoyed on bread for a chicken salad sandwich, on a wrap (or lettuce wrap!) for a low-cal option, or even on top of a salad!
Is chicken salad actually healthy?
Though all chicken salad recipes are made differently, this one falls on the lower-carb side, containing chicken, relish, celery, onion, grapes, yogurt, mayo, dijon, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It is protein-packed and contains fiber and other vitamins. The bulk of the non-complex carbs will come from the Greek yogurt, with complex carbs coming from the grapes.
If you wind up with leftovers, be sure to promptly transfer them to an airtight container and then place them in the refrigerator. Enjoy within about 3 days.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
There are so many different ways to enjoy a chicken-based meal! Here are some additional recipes to try. The Cider Braised Chicken is a must!
- Cider Braised Chicken
- Hot Honey Cornflake Chicken Nuggets
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Greek Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs
All recipes by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Sierra Inn
- 3 large cooked chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sweet relish
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup sliced grapes
- 1 cup 5% plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- To finely shred chicken, add to food processor and pulse for 10 seconds. Alternatively shred by hand.
- Add shredded chicken to a large bowl, and then add entire ingredient list. Mix all together until well combined.
- Serve on bread, with chips, in a wrap, or on a salad!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂