Enjoy a childhood favorite with this Hot Honey Cornflake Chicken Nuggets recipe. Breaded in cornflakes and air fried to crispy perfection, these are perfect for dipping in your favorite sauces and pairing with a bowl of crispy, salty fries!
Delicious and crunchy hot honey cornflake chicken nuggets
Do you ever find yourself craving one of your childhood favorites? Maybe it’s a PB&J, applesauce, or mac and cheese (specifically the kind that comes with the powder cheese). For me, my childhood craving is often a dish of chicken nuggets. From the crispy breading to dipping them in my sauce of choice, they were always a favorite!
Today, I’m showing you how to make a new-and-improved at-home chicken nuggets recipe that’s extra crispy, healthier, and — let’s be honest — probably a bit more protein-rich than the kind we were eating as kids.
Another great thing about this dish is that there is no oven or deep fryer required — these no-bake nuggets call for only an air fryer! Kids love ’em, and the adults do too!
What are corn chicken nuggets made of?
Corn chicken nuggets are made of chicken breast pieces breaded in cornflakes, garlic, and hot honey. The fun doesn’t stop there, either! After breading, we’re adding a delicious sauce paired with a spicy honey mayo for an absolute blast of flavor in every bite!
- Chicken breasts: Two chicken breasts will make up the base of our chicken nuggets recipe.
- Cornflakes: 3 cups of cornflakes will be needed to add a thick layer of flakes to all of the nuggets.
- Garlic powder: The first flavoring will be 1 tsp of garlic powder. This is a must — don’t skip it!
- Salt and pepper: Next, continue seasoning the nuggets by using 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- Eggs: 2 eggs will be used for an egg wash. This ingredient allows the cornflakes to stick to the chicken.
- Hot honey: Finally, 2 tbsp of hot honey adds a delicious hot flavor to the dish.
- Hot honey: 3/4 cup of hot honey will make up the base of the sauce. This ingredient is both savory and sweet. It tastes incredible in this recipe!
- Soy sauce: Next, add 3 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Rice vinegar: 2 tbsp of rice vinegar will add a nice kick.
- Garlic: Add more flavor with 3 cloves of minced garlic. If using powder, add 3/4 tsp total to replace the cloves.
- Cayenne pepper: Optionally finish the sauce by adding a bit of extra heat in the form of 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
Spicy Honey Mayo
- Mayo: Use 1/2 cup of mayo to create the spicy honey mayo.
- Hot honey: 1 tbsp of hot honey makes up the honey portion of this topping.
- Sriracha: Finish it off with 1 tsp of sriracha!
Tools needed to make this cornflake chicken nuggets recipe
You will need a few kitchen tools to make this recipe. Before starting, grab the following:
- Air fryer
- Aluminum foil or nonstick spray
- Cutting board
- Ziplock bag and rolling pin or food processor
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Baking tray or plate
- Stirring utensil
For measuring ingredients, you will need 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup, and 1 cup sized measuring cups.
1 cup, 1 tsp 1/2 tsp, 1 tbsp, 3/4 cup, 1/2 cup,
How to make cornflake nuggets with hot honey
Ready to get started? This easy recipe requires only about 10 minutes of prep time followed by 12 minutes in the air fryer. The total time is less than 30 minutes. Just like that, your snack or meal will be ready to enjoy!
First, preheat the air-fryer to 400°F and line it with aluminum foil or spray with nonstick spray.
Then, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Next, break down the cornflakes into small pieces. You can use a large ziplock bag and a rolling pin or a food processor. Pour the cornflake mixture into a bowl and then mix in the garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and hot honey.
Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, followed by the cornflakes. Press until the nuggets are totally coated. You can lay them on a plate or baking sheet as you bread them.
Next, transfer the nuggets to the fryer and air fry for 12 minutes.
While air frying, place a saucepan on medium-high heat and then add the hot honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and cayenne.
Pour the sauce over the chicken nuggets. Mix together the spicy honey mayo and add it to the top followed by sesame seeds.
What to pair with hot honey chicken nuggets
These hot honey cornflake chicken nuggets can be paired with many different dishes.
And don’t forget — just like regular nuggets, you can enjoy these with your favorite sauces. Think ketchup, honey mustard, or bbq sauce!
Why use corn flakes as breading?
Though regular breadcrumbs work just fine, using cornflakes adds an extra element of flavor. Plus, they provide more crunch than what you’d get with regular ol’ breadcrumbs!
What are corn chicken nuggets made of?
These delicious cornflake chicken nuggets are made with a cornflake crumb crust. We achieve this by adding a breading with an egg wash, allowing the flakes to stick to the outside of the chicken! Once air fried, they’re crispy and satisfying and perfect for dipping in your favorite sauce.
Is cornflake breading healthy?
That really comes down to how you prep it! This recipe uses an air frying cooking method, making it a healthier alternative to regular deep-fried methods. Air fryer recipes typically lean healthier than deep fryer recipes because they use less oil.
Leftover cornflake nuggets can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2 days. If the breading gets soggy, just pop ’em back in the air fryer for a few minutes!
To freeze, transfer to a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Want to create some more chicken meals this week? Here are some recipes to try, whether you’d like to go for something lighter or more filling!
- Chicken Piccata Meatballs
- Sticky Chicken Rice Bowls
- Perfect Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Caesar Wrap Recipe
- Ranch Chicken Salad
All recipes by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Sierra Inn
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 3 cups cornflakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp hot honey
- 3/4 cup hot honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
Spicy Honey Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp hot honey
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Preheat air-fryer to 400F and line with aluminum foil/spray with non stick spray.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a large ziplock bag with a rolling pin or using a food processor, break down cornflakes until small pieces. Pour into bowl and mix in garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- In separate bowl, whisk two eggs with 2 tbsp hot honey.
- Dip chicken into egg mixture, then cornflakes, pressing until until totally coated.
- Air fry for 12 minutes.
- While air-frying, in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add hot honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and cayenne. Once bubbling, reduce heat to medium and boil for 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Pour sauce over chicken nuggets. Mix together spicy honey mayo and add to the top along with sesame seeds.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂