Creamy vegan buffalo sauce recipe is an easy and healthy homemade spread that is made from cashews, hot sauce, and spices. It can be used as a sauce, for dipping, to spread of toast, and so much more.
You guys. I created the most delicious, creamy, vegan buffalo sauce that I have ever put in my mouth. It’s spicy yet smooth and has the perfect amount of heat.
I’ve been wanting to create some sort of vegan buffalo sauce that I could have as a dipping sauce or to put on tacos, or to just eat with a spoon and I finally got around to making one and I’m kicking myself for not doing it sooner!!
Is anyone else literally obsessed with having dipping sauces for every meal? I seriously will find an excuse to have them whenever I can because I feel like they add so much umph to a dish. I guess you can say I’m kinda a healthy condiment extraordinaire.
Well trust me when I say that you’re going to be putting this healthy buffalo sauce on anything you can get your hands on.
Ingredients in vegan buffalo sauce
The ingredients in this vegan buffalo sauce are simple and wholesome. I’m a huge fan of using real food to create delicious recipes, and this one is no different.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Raw cashews (roasted will also work, but unsalted are best)
- Frank’s hot sauce – you can probably use any buffalo sauce you want here, but in my opinion, Frank’s is the best one.
- Veggie stock – water also works here but I love the veggie stock for an extra boost of flavor
- Chili powder
How to make vegan buffalo sauce
If you have a blender and you have five minutes, you can make this easy delicious condiment.
First. Soak your cashews in boiling water. I do boiling water because it get’s them softer, quicker. You can also do overnight but I found that I often forget so boiling water does the trick. This step is key in creating a delicious, creamy sauces.
The other key is a good blender and I cannot recommend the Vitamix enough. One time in my life I was making sauces in the food processor and they never ever got as creamy as what this Vitamix can do! Within ten seconds, you literally have the creamiest sauce with out any chunks or grittiness. Here is the one that I have and love!
Next. Drain your cashews, add them to a blender with your hot sauce, veggie stock or water, and your spices.
Blend blend blend. I use the toggle on the Vitamix to push the cashews down, ultimately blending into a deliciously creamy sauce. If you want to make it thinner, add more liquid. The consistency is up to you!
Once completely creamy, serve it up and enjoy!
For storing, place in a sealed container in the fridge. The sauce will stay good for about a week.
Creamy buffalo sauce recipe ideas
There are so many different ways to use this sauce it’s not even funny, actually it is funny because I actually will be working my way through this entire list after I get this blog post up, but here are a few of my favorites:
- As a sauce on breakfast tacos, regular tacos, or a dipping sauce for quesadillas.
- Chop up your favorite veggies like carrots, celery, cucumber and eat it like you would eat hummus.
- Smother it over cauliflower to create healthier buffalo cauliflower.
- Spread it on your favorite toast and top with a poached egg.
- Use it as a salad dressing on top of your grilled chicken salad. Add blue cheese, green onions, and extra hot sauce if you’re feeling spicy.
- Add it to pasta and use it as a vegan pasta sauce.
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @erinliveswhole on Instagram and use the hashtag #erinliveswhole so I can see it and feature you!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1/3 cup veggie stock or water
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Soak your cashews in boiling water for minimum 30 minutes.
- Once soaked, drain and dry off.
- Add cashews to a high powered blender like a Vitamix.
- Add in hot sauce, liquid of choice, garlic, and chili powder.
- Blend on high for several minutes or until completely smooth and creamy. You may need to use the toggle to push down the cashews.
- If necessary, add more liquid to reach desired consistency.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂