Cool down with this refreshing Gold Rush Bourbon Cocktail made with only four ingredients and completed with a rich and delicious homemade honey ginger syrup.
The most delicious gold rush drink
There’s nothing better than a made-at-home cocktail that tastes just as good as something you’d get in a luxury bar setting. The truth is, there’s no secret ingredient that makes drinks better at restaurants or bars — it just comes down to proper measurements (and maybe a bit of honey ginger syrup!).
This gold rush bourbon cocktail is a refreshing drink made with only four ingredients. We’ll be making a delicious homemade honey ginger syrup to elevate the flavor and make the beverage complete!
Ingredients in the gold rush bourbon cocktail
- Bourbon: First up, you will need 5 oz of bourbon. This will create two drinks.
- Lemon juice: Then, 2 oz of fresh lemon juice will be used to add a nice zing.
- Honey ginger syrup: To add flavor to the drink, use 2 oz of honey ginger syrup. This is made with 1/2 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of water, and 2 inches of peeled and chopped ginger. See step 1 of the directions for a complete breakdown.
- Garnishes: Use a lemon wedge and luxardo cherry to garnish!
Tools needed to make this recipe
To create your at-home gold rush cocktail beverage, you will need a sauce pot and stirring utensil to make the honey syrup, followed by a cocktail shaker. For best practices, use 1 oz and 1/2 cup sized measuring cups for accurate ingredient measurements.
How to make this gold rush cocktail recipe
Creating this beverage couldn’t be easier. We’ll start with the honey, then we’ll simply add everything to the shaker, give it a shake, and ta da!
To begin, create a honey syrup by bringing 1/2 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of water, and 2 inches of peeled and chopped ginger to a boil. Let boil over medium heat, stirring consistently, for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let steep for 20 minutes. Then, drain and pour into a jar to cool.
Next, fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the bourbon, lemon juice and syrup, and shake it up!
Pour the shaken mixture into two glasses filled with ice. Top with a lemon and cherry, and enjoy!
Can I use any type of whiskey?
You can! Though a gold rush is traditionally made with bourbon, any type of whiskey will work just fine in this recipe.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Craving some more refreshing cocktails? Here are some favorites!
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photography by Moriah Sawtelle
- 5 oz bourbon
- 2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz honey ginger syrup (see step 1)
- lemon wedge and luxardo cherry to top
- Make honey syrup by bringing 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup water, and 2 inches of peeled and chopped ginger to a boil. Let boil over medium heat, stirring consistently, for 10 minutes. Turn heat off and let steep for 20 minutes. Drain and pour into jar to cool.
- In a cocktail shaker, fill with ice. Add bourbon, lemon juice, and syrup. Shake it up!
- Pour into two glasses filled with ice. Top with lemon and cherry.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂