Enjoy a savory, tangy, filling, and nutrient-rich meal with this Grilled Asian Salmon with Coconut Rice. Prep is easy and comes together with only 11 ingredients! Yields 5 servings.
The most delicious salmon and coconut rice recipe
When it comes to salmon and rice recipes, sign me up! They’re so versatile as far as flavor is concerned, and you can really switch things up by using a few choice ingredients. Today, we’re keeping things nice and classic with delicious grilled Asian salmon with coconut rice.
The dish is filling, the taste is great, and the prep is easy! What more could you want in a meal? It yields 5 servings, making it great for the family.
Ingredients in grilled Asian salmon
This Asian grilled salmon recipe has two parts of ingredients: those used to flavor the salmon, and those used in the rice. Both sets of ingredients are simple and should be easy to find in any grocery store.
Grilled Asian Salmon
- Salmon: First up for the salad is 2 pounds of salmon. It should be cut into filets and amount to around 5 filets. You can keep the skin or remove it.
- Dijon mustard: 2 tbsp of dijon mustard is going to add a good amount of flavor to the salmon.
- Soy sauce: Follow the dijon with 3 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce.
- Avocado oil: To ensure a perfect texture result, use 1/3 cup of avocado oil or any other neutral oil.
- Garlic: Add more flavor with 3 cloves of minced garlic.
- Honey: Last but not least, the salmon comes together with 2 tbsp of honey.
- White rice: For the coconut rice, begin with 1 cup of white rice.
- Coconut milk: Rather than cooking the rice in all water, use 1 can of coconut milk. This is going to add so much delicious coconut flavor!
- Water: Add 1/4 cup of water to help the rice get nice and fluffy.
- Salt: 1/4 tsp of salt adds the perfect amount of flavor.
- Lime: The coconut rice is complete with the juice of 1/2 of a lime.
Tools required to make this recipe
To make this Asian salmon and rice, you will need a large mixing bowl, a whisk, nonstick spray, and a spatula or tongs. We’ll be making the salmon on the grill, so go ahead and fire it up!
To measure out ingredients you will need the following sized cups: 1/2 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make grilled Asian salmon with coconut rice
This recipe is made in two parts. We’ll start by prepping the salmon with the flavorings before popping it on the grill. Then, we’ll get to work on preparing the rice!
Add the salmon fillets to the bowl and cover well with the remaining marinade. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Grease well with nonstick spray while it heats up.
Place the salmon fillets skin side down on the grill, and cook for 4-5 minutes depending on the thickness.
After 4-5 minutes, flip gently using a fish spatula or tongs. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes before eating.
To prepare the coconut rice, begin by washing the white rice. Once clean, add it to a saucepan with the coconut milk, water, and salt. Cover the lid and bring it to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 13 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and let rest for 10 minutes. Once the time is up, fluff with a fork and add the lime juice.
Add the salmon and rice to a plate. Garnish with sesame seeds, parsley, and the remaining marinade.
Add even more flavor with this easy addition
Are you ready for an easy and delicious way to take this salmon and rice dish to the next level?
It’s simple… throw on some Pineapple and Mango Salsa! The addition provides a delicious blend of sweet and tangy flavors, and it goes with the savoriness of the salmon and the lime in the rice so well!
Any leftovers should be refrigerated. To keep the salmon fresh, securely wrap it in foil or plastic wrap. The rice can be stored in any airtight container. Both parts of the recipe should be enjoyed within about 3 days.
I recommend reheating the salmon in the oven or on the stove. The rice can be reheated by adding a dash of water to a pot or bowl and reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
On a salmon kick? Here are some more delicious salmon recipes to try this week!
- Healthy Teriyaki Salmon
- Easy One-Pan Salmon Dinner
- Cajun Parmesan Salmon
- Mediterranean Salmon Foil Packs
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
Grilled Asian Salmon
- 2 pounds salmon, cut into filets with or without skin (about 5 filets)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- In a large bowl, whisk together dijon mustard, soy sauce, oil, garlic, and . Set aside two tablespoons of marinade to drizzle on top after cooking.
- Add salmon filets to the bowl and cover well with remaining marinade. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Grease well with nonstick spray while heating up.
- Place salmon filets skin side down on grill. Cook 4-5 minutes depending on thickness.
- After 4-5 minutes, flip gently either using a fish spatula or tongs and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Take salmon off grill and let rest 10 minutes before eating.
- Start preparing the coconut rice by washing white rice. Once clean, add to sauce pan with coconut milk, water, and salt. Cover with lid and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook 13 minutes. After 13 minutes, turn off heat and let rest 10 minutes. Fluff with fork after 10 minutes and add lime juice.
- Add salmon and coconut rice to a plate, garnish with sesame seeds and parsley and remaining marinade.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂