These peanut butter rice krispies bars are naturally sweetened with honey and have a salty crunch of pretzels. They are a sweet and salty snack that will satiate even the biggest sweet tooth!
Sweet And Salty Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Bars
Are you seriously craving something sweet but still want to feel good about what you are eating? I feel ya! Living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean you have to totally stop eating desserts – you just have to make choices that will fuel your body in the best way possible.
These sweet bars do just that!
Peanut butter is so very good for you – full of healthy fats and protein. Then, I sweetened the bars with honey, which is a healthier alternative to corn syrup. Add some rice krispies and pretzels and top it all with some melted chocolate.
What you have is a dessert you can feel good about because it will make your body feel good too. The protein will keep your blood sugar level and the healthy fats will help you feel full.
Keep reading and I’ll share my best tips that will help you make the tastiest and healthiest treats! These bars are perfect for parties, after-dinner desserts, or when you are craving something sweet.
Ingredients In This Peanut Butter Bars Dessert
All of the ingredients I used are really easy to find. Here’s a bit more information about what is in my peanut butter bars recipe.
- Rice Krispies Cereal: I used 3 cups of rice cereal. The brand isn’t important, but just make sure it is puffed rice ceral.
- Pretzels: You’ll need about a cup of finely crushed pretzels. If you are trying to eat gluten-free, use gluten-free pretzels.
- Peanut Butter: Use one cup of natural peanut butter. You can use either creamy or crunchy – that is entirely up to you and your preference.
- Coconut Oil: I used it both in the bars themselves and to help the chocolate chips melt for the topping. You’ll need about 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon for this.
- Honey: If you can, it’s always best to use local honey. You need about 1/2 cup.
- Chocolate Chips: I used 1 cup and melted them for the chocolate topping on the bars.
Kitchen Tools Required For This Easy Dessert
You don’t need any fancy equipment to make these bars. Here are all the tools and things I used to make them.
- Mixing Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- 8×8 Baking Pan
- Microwave-Safe Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
For measuring, you will need a 1-cup dry measuring cup, 1/2-cup dry measuring cup, 1/4-cup dry measuring cup, and 1 tablespoon.
How To Make Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars
All of the exact steps are listed in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, here is a quick overview of how to make them.
Start out by preparing your baking pan. I greased and lined an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
Then, start mixing your ingredients. Combine the cereal and pretzels in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix your peanut butter, coconut oil, and honey. Heat it all in a microwave until it all melts together. This only took one minute for me.
Next, pour the melted peanut butter mixture into the large bowl with the cereal and pretzels. Keep mixing them together until they are fully combined. Press it all into the bottom of the 8×8 pan.
Now you are ready to make the chocolate topping!
To do this, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave. Do it in 30-second increments, stirring really well in between each one. When it is completely melted, pour it on top of the peanut butter batter.
Freeze the peanut butter bars for at least an hour.
Below are some common peanut butter dessert questions. Don’t see the answer you’re looking for? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post!
Is this recipe gluten-free?
No, this recipe is not gluten-free. There is gluten in the pretzels. If you are concerned about gluten, make sure you buy pretzels that are gluten-free.
How do you cut the bars evenly?
If you really want to make sure that each bar is exactly the same size, then I suggest making them in a muffin tin.
Otherwise, I like to use a pizza cutter to slice through the bars and just try to get it as close to even as I can.
Can I skip the chocolate on top?
Yes, you can omit the chocolate chips. That chocolate topping is completely optional. Leave it completely off or replace it with any other melted topping.
How do you crush pretzels?
There are lots of ways to crush the pretzels. I like to use my food processor because it only takes a few seconds. Another easy option is to place a bunch of pretzels in a resealable food storage bag and then roll a rolling pin over them until they are finely crushed.
Wondering if you can use different ingredients? There are a few ways you can.
You can use any type of nut or seed butter instead of peanut butter. One of my favorite peanut butter replacements is cashew butter.
You can also use sugar-free chocolate chips and honey substitutes if you are concerned about how much sugar this has in it.
Another fun substitute is to use any other type of baking chips in place of the chocolate chips. Try this with butterscotch chips or even melted white chocolate.
The best way to store these bars is either in the freeze or the refrigerator. They will last the longest in the freezer up to 6 months. These bars will only last about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
No matter which place you store them, make sure they are completely sealed in either a food storage bag or an airtight food storage container.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Here are some more of my favorite dessert recipes. Enjoy!
- Healthy S’Mores Brownie Recipe
- Copycat Homemade Perfect Bars
- Healthy Cherry Pie Oatmeal Bars
- Peanut Butter Energy Bars
- Healthy Cadbury Egg Blondies
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photography by Moriah Sawtelle
Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars
- 3 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup finely crushed pretzels
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Parchment line and grease an 8×8 pan.
- In a large bowl, add cereal and pretzels.
- In a smaller bowl, add peanut butter, coconut oil, and honey and heat in microwave until completely melted together, about 1 min.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into cereal mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Press into bottom of pan.
- In 30 second increments, melt together the chocolate and coconut oil. Once completely melted, pour over cereal mixture.
- Freeze for at 1 least one hour. Store in fridge or freezer.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂
Leave a Comment